McGrath's laptop won't boot past the Vista screen, can't even get into safe mode. Using some utility cd's a dll by the name of 'hal.dll' is reported as corrupt. I remember using a utility disk to access system restore and use that on Nic's machine previously but alas I cannot find that CD or the iso. So instead seeing if the Vista Recovery CD can deal with the problem.
Apparently Vista Recovery CD cannot repair it automatically...well bugger.
And it's saying no system restore points have been created....lies I saw some earlier while browsing off the other Utility CD.
Update:
And the 2nd time running it the Vista recovery CD identifies the problem as a patch preventing Vista from starting and disabled it, thus the machine lives again! That's a win for me. Though I spent all day trying to get things working 9-5, came home and spent my evening doing the same sort of thing....I should start billing people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment