Monday, 3 August 2009

Making use of the home dvd collection

Sunday August 2nd

The Rules Of Attraction - Well, it's a shocker I'll say that much. It reminded me of American Beauty & American Psycho (& it even features the character Sean Bateman who in the book American Psycho is the referenced brother of Patrick Bateman huh) but here the characters REALLY get screwed over by the writer, poor Lauren dayum. Some of the most disturbing stuff I've seen (and I watched the Watchmen dog scene without flinching). I think it was good, I know that 7 hours later I'm still thinking about how 'whoa' it was so that's gotta count for something. Wow. Also nice gimmick for the end credits.

Sweeny Todd - That's the most singing I've ever seen in a musical I must say. Every other sentence it seemed. Depp was very entertaining here and the descent into madness intriguing to watch. Wondefully tragic story here though one thing that annoyed me was actually distinguishing what they were saying in alot of the songs, should've turned on subtitles. Ending was a bit abrupt though, did they leave or what?

Rumour Has It - Yawn. Nothing offensive here but very meh. Did like the straight shooting grandmother but maybe my enjoyment was hampered by not having seen The Graduate.

Phonebooth - 73 minutes long eh? Excellent. In saying that though by the end I had grown sick of that phonebooth. Kiefer Sutherland really reminded me of Anthony Hopkins too. Regarding the actual film it moved along nicely, seemed like the idea was a bit worn out by the end though. Now that I think about it, it was basically a 60 minute conversation, solid dialog writing must say. And again 73 minutes? Well done folks, if only more people could make them that concise (would make getting to 300 easier for sure).

Ocean's 12 - I heard this was really bad, what was so bad? It wasn't as good as the first definitely, lacked the feel of big star glitz it had (though Bruce Willis always welcome). Alot of the heist stuff was boring when they'd show the clips of how they did it and went on too long I found, their twists just weren't smooth enough either. Topher Grace showing up was great though.


Film Of The Update: I think this goes to The Rules Of Attraction, but I'm not sure. Maybe I should watch it again.

192 arr

No comments:

Post a Comment