Saturday, 15 August 2009

Not doing anything so may as well update this

Time to think back

Tuesday August 4th

Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince - The books peaked at the 4th in my opinion, but anyway this was nothing special. Was dissapointed that all the fiery explosive special effects (which were indeed cool) had been shown in the trailer, I was hoping for loads more of that. There was an odd feeling of the story being disjointed and it definitely shows that it's adapted from a book (feeling as if they're just grabbing bits out of each chapter). Not offensive but no reason to watch again (unless I need a refresher for the 7th and 8th films).

Alien - Whoa this is way better than Harry Potter. Sci-fi horror greatness. Though personally all that stuff about male fear of pregnancy I'd heard people talk about for this film didn't stand out to me, moreso fear of Facehuggers and Chestbursters.

Thursday August 6th

I Love You Man - I wasn't paying attention, this was mostly background noise. Probably should rewatch....Did notice lots of Rush though.

Thursday August 13th (bit of a jump there, pretty sure I've left out a few, will try and remember for a later update)

Ice Age 2 - Really nice looking film this, great graphics. Plotwise you have a standard McGuffin for advancement of characters and it makes for a fun film to watch. 90 minutes of good-natured humour.

Aliens - "This time, we've got loads of the things". The Aliens seem to suffer from that common ratio problem where the more enemies there are the easier they are to kill (I'm looking at you Uber-Vamp from Buffy), which wrecks alot of the tension that the 1st one had. And the end fight was incredibly clunky, nice reveal but the fight itself was weak. And again with the airlock (Remember Heroes - 'when in doubt throw them into space') sheesh. The robot special effects were cool though, in general the film was most enjoyable when it focused on the people and not the Aliens. A good film to watch.

Checked the newest films I have and remembered one I'd watched, as for day I'm guessing....

Wednesday 5th August

Adventureland - Despite that police officer from Superbad being here and a main character who looks ALOT like Michael Cera this isn't really the same kind of humour or film. Some interesting characters in here (of particular note being Kristen Stewart who's the most mixed up and best character on display here). A nice story with some funny moments but it's not a laugh a minute movie. Also making Ryan Reynolds out as not cool? What? A romantic story but has an ending that leaves some stuff unresolved which annoyed me a bit yar.

Film Of The Update - Alien, with kudos to Adventureland which would've had a more articulate review if I could remember it better.

The Count - Does it matter? Call it 187.

No comments:

Post a Comment